Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bonus recipe: Crab cakes

Although I have no plans to shell crabs before an audience.. I wanted to include this recipe from my new favorite blog, My Own Sweet Thyme. The author is a local PacNWer from just across the river in SW Washington. She has it all--great photography, great recipes, great philosophy, and good storyline. I stumbled upon this one through a search for chef Doris Longacre's pancakes. I was swooning over her recently on my crepe blog. Come to think of it, I've been having great luck with stumbling upon inspiration lately. Ms Longacre's cookbook called to me out of no where at the library. It was a great find! Her style is quite economical and I recommend taking a look at her cookbook More-With-Less.

Without further ado, here are Crab Cakes by My Own Sweet Thyme adapted slightly from The Best Crab Cakes at teriskitchen.com.


Makes about 7 Crab Cakes. Can be easily doubled.

1 lb crab meat
1½ Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
2 eggs
1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
¾ cup white bread crumbs
Panko crumbs (for dredging)
Butter and olive oil (for frying)
***If you add a few tbsps parsley add another egg --hillsborocheflive


Saute onion in 1½ Tablespoons butter until soft.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, mustard, pepper, salt and mayonnaise.

Add the sauteed onions, white bread crumbs and crab meat. Mix until combined.

Form Crab Cake patties using 1/3 cup of the mixture for each cake. Dredge in Panko crumbs and arrange on a baking sheet.

Place the baking sheet filled with crab cake patties in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before frying.

When ready to cook:

Heat 1 Tablespoon of butter and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Place crab cakes in the hot oil and cook over medium heat until golden brown, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. (I cook them in two batches adding more butter and oil for the second batch as needed.)

Serve on toasted buns or on a bed of lettuce topped with cocktail sauce, Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, or garnished with lemon wedges.

Enjoy!Link

No comments:

Post a Comment